"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written

Bar owner Mr. Ruperto and his son performing live at Cafe Ruperto, San Antonio Northern Samar

Honestly, ever since, it's been my frustration on not learning easily the bisaya dialect which people of Central, Western and some other parts of Eastern Visayas speak. When I am in a place of bisaya people, I listened and almost listed all those words I've heard and study them carefully.

This month, we, from the local media together with bloggers and with the Department of Tourism visited the island of San Antonio in Northern Samar. Actually, that visit was not my first time. I was with the Zuellig guy who accompanied me to meet the Municipal Health Officer of the town for our Solar Scholars Program last month.

I haven't gone to Cafe Ruperto when I visited the island. The place was perfect in listening to the love songs they sing while the night was covered by thousands of fireflies flying beautifully and peacefully.

The owner Mr. Ruperto performed for us as he narrates the history of the island. He sang very well. I was speechless. His voice was perfect for his songs. He sang together with his son who played the guitar.

When he started to strum the guitar everybody screamed for excitement. Then they song the most nakaka-kilig bisaya song that I've never heard before and its title is "Labyu langga". I internalized the lyrics though I don't understand them all.

Basta nakakakilig siya! That feeling, yes! The rhythm was perfect for my ears.  I was speechless and left me defining the meaning of the song. At first I am puzzled but later on I asked Rey Conan who is from Southern Leyte and who speaks bisaya to translate it for me. And here it is:

"Labyu langga''

Bawat tibok ng aking puso Di na hihinto,

Di na matatapos Ganito ako pag ma in love

Gawin ko ang lahat lahat Kahit na maging baliw

Alam kong hindi mo ako pansinin Ning simpleng makata na tulad ko Isang awit lang talaga ang aking maialay

Ibinigay ko na sayo ang aking puso

Ikaw na ang bahala sa pagtago at pagbantay Kapit ka sa paniniwala na hindi kita iiwanSa kasiyahan at kalungkutan Palagi kang may karamay I labyu langga 

Hindi ako magsawa na makinig Sa boses mo na maginaw kahit na hindi ka magsalita
Ganito ako pag ma inlove Walang pinipili na kasiyahan Ok lang kung medyo drama ng konti Umaga, maghapon at gabi

Palagi lang akong Masaya Bastat tayong dalawa magkasama palagi Ibinigay ko na sayo ang aking puso Ikaw na ang bahala sa pagtago at pagbantay

Kapit ka sa paniniwala na hindi kita iiwan Sa kasiyahan at kalungkutan Palagi kang may karamay I labyu langga.

See? A beautiful song written who is in-love. :)

Thanks to Rey for the translation. :)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe