Behind the "BAR"


My first Southern Leyte escape. 
Everybody who entered college aspired to take the board examinations for their respective courses, of course. I was one of those aspirants too when my mom asked me to take the challenge four years back. Yes, that was before because now it’s no more. I lost my direction and inspiration.

I even lost reasons to celebrate my birthday. What for? I long for a reason why should I survive each day. I traveled a lot just to feel that I am not alone in this world. I worked with the community to feel that I belong to their hearts. After the day I lost her, nobody asks me if how it was going, if I ate my meal, I am tired, where I am going etc. All those questions eventually lost and never heard at all.

After the funeral march, it seems that my heart was not pumping. I’m breathing, but I don’t feel anything. I don’t know if where I was able to get this kind of strength I have right now. Being alone is very hard to understand. Why did God let me be alone? Someone told me that maybe there is God’s purpose.

I did my best to do what she want me to have –it’s to have a degree of Bachelor of Laws. I was able to graduate, but she was not anymore with me. I’m tired of asking God why. I missed my mom. Why her? It pains me to remember her loss. I work hard to help other people to stand up and rise again after having been devastated by the storm. I want to earn something for my review, but I can’t.

There are lots of things to consider. First, I should think that no one supports me but myself. Second, I am not financially capacitated for taking the review. Third, I am not an ordinary law graduate who after college will plan for their review classes. I am an orphan and I should work for me to eat and to pay the rent of my room.

Those reasons made me realize that I am not destined for that profession. If I take the risk and take the exam and fail, the thousands of money I spent will be lost like bubbles in the air. My cousins were asking money because of the absence of a job and for the payment of their rent etc. It pains me because I wasn’t able to help them well. I felt that all burdens in the world were now in my shoulder. I wish I could help them all.

Recently, I attended a workshop in Baybay City where after the program somebody whom I recognized that he is the CDRRMO of Baybay City approached me and pat my back and say “taga san ka? Samar?” I said, from Tacloban Sir. “Ah, I see. Bright girl”, he said.

He held my hand and shook it with a smile. I smiled back and say thank you awkwardly. It was after I talk in front of them for on how will be our commitment in addressing the identified problem during the emergency response. I was shocked by his recognition because I wasn’t expected it at all.

Then, the other day my friend whom I worked with last year pushed me to try my luck in taking the ADB Scholarship abroad. Again, it was really flattering. The push was from the editor-in-chief of ADB Magazine. And that’s really something for me.


As days goes by, I still think of where I am going and what will happen to me in the future. There are lots of questions in my mind. Will there be someone to take the journey with me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe

"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written