Taking the BAR: My mother’s day gift for my mom in heaven


The month of May had been one of my favorite months of the year since I was a kid. It’s not because it is a summer month, but because it is when we celebrate the mother’s day. And while on the 18th is the special day of my mom.

Tomorrow, the second Sunday of the month May many sons and daughters in the whole world will greet their mom a Happy Mother’s Day. This would be the very special day for every mother on earth. I used to greet and celebrate the same occasion with my mom before the tragic event happened in my life.

I’m very proud of my mom. She is very industrious, kind-hearted, caring, loving and liberal mother. She raised me all by herself after my father had abandoned us. While she works as a teacher, she made san ice candy every night just to augment our daily needs especially that I am in my high school then.

I watch her carefully on how to make it so that I could help her in doing it after my assignments. I am her only child and been her companion for 24 years then. When I entered college, she decided to retire at the age of 60 and put up a small store to send me to school and even in the College of Law.

I saw all her sacrifices and pains raising the two of us. She’s a picture of a strong woman that could face any challenge in life. I never saw her frown despite the problems thrown to her by her brothers and sisters. I promised to myself that one day I can show her the fruits of her sacrifices for me. But this moment never came. My heart bleeds every time when I realized that my mom was gone.

I cried every night I saw her picture smiling at me as if saying that everything will be alright. If I have a big problem, I cried and asking her to go back to my life. Life has never been easy after she left. I never celebrated my birthday at all and any other occasion of the year. There’s no more reason for me to celebrate life I told to myself. Her loss was still painful.

I was walking in downtown Tacloban when I saw a cute stuff toy bearing a Happy Mother’s day card. I smiled and slowly walk down closer to it but at some point it seems that my soul reminds me that I don’t have a mother anymore. My tears ran down to my cheeks. I should face the reality. I’m still proud of my mom.

She made me strong. She made me taste the life of independence even when I was still a kid. She taught how to do the household chores. She readied me for the future.
Now, more than a year after the storm and her sudden death I had made a life-changing decision. My mom never witnessed my graduation. She never also saw how I work hard just to help other people. 

I’m happy that the people I have helped before were now getting back on their own feet after their livelihoods were destroyed by the storm.

It’s time to think for myself. I am taking the challenge of reviewing for the bar and for taking it this year. Sounds easy right? Yes, but it’s not how you think it is. When I decided this, I used to cry in front of my calculator calculating the expenses that I would incur for 6 months.

I readied myself of not eating thrice a day. I had experience lots of sacrifices in life so the things I will encounter will not be any more an alien to me. But I still pray for strength and good health. I knew that this would not be easy for me especially that no one is supporting me.


I want to try taking the bar exams for my mom. I know she’ll be happy with my decision. Whether I will make it or nor at least I’m gonna try it. I know someday that I will be writing a story having its positive aura. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe

"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written