Homeless couple just got their new wheels of hope; They say thanks to Cong. Martin Romualdez

Intoy, Lenlen and my bike. 

HOW I MET THEM

I was heading to a coffee shop near Sto Nino church for a meeting one afternoon when I noticed a short and petite woman pushing an old wheelchair with her husband riding on it. I watch them curiously as they pass by and look for a waiting shed. I could see the wife having a hard time pushing it because its wheels were already old and rusting. I walk closer to them in curiosity.

I greeted them and they smiled back at me. At first, I was hesitant in asking what the situation of her husband is. I had presumed that they were couple because they were so sweet to each other. But because of my endless curiosity, I broke the question with Mang Intoy, the man who suffered polio since birth. He told me that his illness was incurable. I asked what happened to them when Yolanda struck the city. 

He told me that their survival was very painful and he doesn’t want it to be recalled.
The wheel-chair he was using was donated by a priest from Sto Nino parish. Aleng Lenlen, his wife, told me that God was good as He heard their simple prayer. And because of my curiosity on how they met each other, I asked about their love life. I was inspired by their love story so I decided to write it for myself.

THE LOVE THAT WAS BORN IN THE STREETS

Lenlen and Intoy met here in downtown Tacloban. Lenlen works as a dishwasher in a small canteen while Intoy was already living all alone in the streets of downtown Tacloban. He crawled unto the doors of the churches he went to beg for alms. One day, he bought a small food out of his alms in the small canteen where Lenlen was working. He saw her and found himself attracted to her. He immediately got her attention and became friends afterwards. Since then, he always visited her and gives her flowers whenever he has one. Later on, he courted her. Lenlen admitted that she doesn’t like Intoy at first. But because of his persistent visit, courting, and his humorous personality, Lenlen felt in love with Intoy.

Since then, she decided to be with Intoy no matter what. “Hindi ko siya gusto noong una, pero napaka lambing niya at maaalalahanin sakin. Palabiro din, kaya nagka gusto ako sa kanya. Kahit ganyan siya, hindi ko siya iiwan kahit anong mangyari,”she said. They lived in the streets together. Intoy wasn’t able to work for living because of his illness. 

His family has already abandoned him because of his poor situation. It was last year when they received the greatest blessing in their lives. They were so happy when the couple told me the story on how they were able to have the new wheel-chair. I saw a picture of ease and contentment in their faces. Even they were homeless, like any other couple, they still care and complement each other every day. I felt their pure happiness when they are together.

I feel the true love of a couple can offer to each other. The smiles were genuine whenever they exchange sweet and caring words. I felt their contentment even though they have less in life. Whenever I have time before going to school or work, I brought some food and clothes for them where they mostly stay during the night. We exchanged sad and happy stories that happened to us the past few days. One time, Lenlen noticed that I was so lonely and my tears almost ran down my cheeks. I was so quiet that time and heading to light a candle for my mom inside the church. She asked me what’s the problem and I told her that I have a big decision to make and I can’t lose one of them.

It’s between quitting my job or it is taking my review for the bar. Lenlen knows my life story. She consoled and advised me like my mom. My tears ran down. “Piliin mo ang kung ano sa tingin mo yung tama. Andito lang kami ni Intoy para sa’yo.” That statement made me realize and helped me to be strong in facing the consequences of my decision. I thanked her for that.

THE REJECTED REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE

One Sunday morning when I was heading to school, I saw Intoy crawling on the ground fixing the damaged wheels of his wheelchair. I walk closer and parked my bike across us. I asked him what happened. The wheels were so flat that it affects the steel wheel that covers the tires. Lenlen told me that they went to the office of the CSWD to request for help in fixing her husband’s wheelchair.

But unfortunately, they were asked for a receipt of the wheel chair before helping them. She insisted that the wheelchair was just donated by a priest from Sto Nino and they weren’t able to have that receipt. Because of not presenting any receipt they were neglected and ask to go out of the office. 

“Sinabihan ko siya na, kahit mahirap lang kami, hindi naman nawala ang respeto namin sa ibang tao. Alalahanin mo, kahit nagtatrabaho ka sa gobyerno, mas matanda parin ako sayo, kaya igalang mo naman ako.” This was what she told to the office employee out of her dismay and anger over the way they were treated. Intoy asked me if I could help him buy a new pair of tires for his wheelchair. I can’t promise to them an amount of money because I was also saving my money for my review. I was ashamed that I wasn’t able to help them at the time that they really needed help. My heart cried over my self-disappointment. If ever I could, I would.

AN ANSWERED PRAYER! THANK YOU CONG. MARTIN

I took their photo and have it posted in my Facebook account with a short story as its underlying caption. After an hour, one of my friends told me that Cong. Martin Romualdez was giving out wheel chairs for PWDs just contact his staff assigned for the matter. My heart was full of hope upon knowing the update. Because of my busy schedule I wasn’t able to do it immediately.

Luckily, one of Cong. Martin’s staff read my post and immediately tagged the person who was in-charge thereof. Because of so many things to do in my everyday life, I forgot to check my friends in the streets. One afternoon, while I was on my bike, I saw the couple in front of the church begging for alms but this time I noticed something new. I cycled closer and noticed that Intoy’s wheel chair was already new.

Hurray! I was very happy to know that the office of the Congressman gave them such wheelchair. I jumped with joy. Lenlen happily told me that it was given before the fiesta. They praised God together for the blessing they have. This time the wheel chair has a durable tires attached to the steel wheels. They’re very thankful. God heard our prayers. He channeled it through a true serviceman who never neglected the needs of the poor PWDs. Cong Martin was never wrong in helping these homeless couple survivors of typhoon Yolanda. They maybe beggars, but they are good people. It’s just that they’re unlucky enough to have opportunities that life can offer. [END]

Comments

  1. Listening to this type of music helps me a little to calm the pain and sadness silence of heart music

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe

"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written