Serving the people in a brighter way


Knowing about renewable energy has never been part of my life before the month of February last 2014 when Veejay, the famous photographer, introduced me to the Executive Director of the Institute for Climate and Sustainable Cities, sir Red Constantino. On that meeting, they are discussing the RE-Charge project, the building of a solar facility where the electric jeepneys will be plugged in for charging and soon will run in downtown Tacloban. I was clueless that time on what are those things.


Wahahaha pictorial with Veejay. 

I just introduced myself and smiled. I was so nervous that I couldn’t eat my meals that have been served soon after we arrived from a long distance travel. They were looking for a Tacloban based staff that time. Sir Red told me to send my resume’ and application letter via e-mail. I did. There were lots of non-governmental organizations in Tacloban City helping the relief and rehabilitation of the communities which have been devastated by typhoon Yolanda. Foreign workers and volunteers were seen everywhere in downtown Tacloban.

I thought that time that we’ve been conquered by different countries that almost all nationalities were here helping the survivors of the disaster. I was a graduating student that time and looking for a job to support my studies. God is good because He let me knew a very good man in the name of Veejay. They hired me. It was my first time working in a non-governmental organization which has an advocacy that is alien to me. The organization was just not new to me and also to the people of Tacloban City.


My first time riding the ejeepney in Makati City.

I assisted them for the project while working as a community journalist and a graduating student. It was a great experience witnessing the birth of a facility. A facility that brought the ray of sun shine and hope to the people of Tacloban after the disaster. Personally, the project has opened my mind, heart and soul to have a right advocacy in life. This advocacy puts direction to my life. I have no sense of direction at that time, until one day I woke up with a purpose ---it is to spread the knowledge and information about the advocacy on renewable energy and how important it is during disaster response when there is a power outage.

Later, buildings were already constructed and the electric jeepneys have been transported through the Navy ship. It traveled for 16 days from Manila to Tacloban. The four electric jeepneys together with sir Boojie has been welcomed by the members of the EJTC from Manila and iCSC. I remember that Chloe, our foreign intern was with us during the welcome party with a cake that was given to the crew of the ship and their captain. We had the chance of touring the oldest Navy ship in the Philippines. It was too old, but it is still working.


Our first groufie. 

The sad thing about it is that the ship was more than 70 years old. Some parts of the huge floating metal were already deteriorating. It is sad for the taxpayers of the Republic of the Philippines to learn the situation of our ship. But we still thanked the Philippine Navy for shipping our ejeepneys. We had our launching on October 30 and we have lots of visitors who came to witness its opening. It was fun. After the launch, we decided to have a free ride of the ejeepneys for two weeks. I rode one or two of those trips around downtown Tacloban and explain to those curious passengers what kind of jeep they are riding.

I was so happy sharing that information to them. I saw their faces full of amusement and excitement. Lots of questions were raised and good thing I was prepared. I enjoyed the ride as well as the people. People who were working in the organization were all so good. The organization was so blessed that they have this team. 


Ang mapait na beer.

That small team made the Re-Charge project in Tacloban City a perfect one after experiencing the strongest typhoon ever landfall on earth. I was so happy that I was part of the history in making something new in my beloved City. The birth of the Solar Scholars has been the most exciting of all for me. I was assigned to do the research in the different communities in the region. Good thing that the Zuellig Foundation, through Axell, helps me in my research as they went to the remote islands of the provinces of Samar. It was very challenging because it was my very first time after the storm when I crossed the islands riding a small boat pushed by big waves.

But the stories I’ve found in the islands were worth the fear I felt when I traveled to their places. I’ve found beautiful stories in the island towns of San Antonio, Capul and San Vicente in Northern Samar. One of its highlights was when I was able to write the story on how the small municipality of San Vicente got a zero maternal death since 1976 up to now. I was so happy that the story was chosen to be the topic of the documentary show of tv5 which is KAYA.


Baby Kathryn of San Vicente Northern Samar. 

I am very thankful for iCSC because without them I will not be able to document like this significant story that might lead in replicating by other towns for them also to achieve the zero maternal death. I am just a community journalist who wasn’t able to finance a long distance travel where stories were there. But because of my work as a community researcher at the Institute for Climate and Sustainable Cities, I was able to travel and write stories at the same time. I feel blessed, really I am. They were so very supportive to my work. My heartfelt thanks will never be enough. The opportunity they gave me was a blessing.

Sir Uro with our Solar Scholars from San Vicente, Northern Samar.

I was also happy to be part of making the Solar Scholars training a success. The feeling was great. All these great experiences I got from the organization will be part of me forever. At the end of this month, I will be leaving the project will all my pride and smiles. I thanked our boss, sir Red Constantino for everything. I will bring the advocacy all throughout my life. The Re-Charge project in Tacloban City brought not only brought sunshine to me but to all Taclobanons. I considered the job as a true service to the people and it is in a beautiful and bright way. God bless iCSC and Re-charge Tacloban! Thank you for bringing sunshine to our hearts! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe

"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written