Why I completely lost my trust over DSWD Regional Office 8

No build-zone builders in Tacloban City

I admit and never denied that I was not a graduate of Journalism or any related course therein. Yes! I am new in this industry. I just learned my news writing skills over the emails of my interaksyon.com editors. I have saved it on my folders and read it carefully. I just studied the code of ethics on the internet. 

There were many challenges that I have faced in this job as a community journalist. Last year, I was able to write a story on the trucks of rotten and expired relief goods dumped into the dump site in Palo, Leyte. When I received the information, I immediately leave my classes and verify the information. I went to the Brgy where the dump site was located.

There I was able to interview the scavengers living near the area and proved that they got relief packs, biscuits, noodles, canned goods and others from the dump site. They said there were trucks that have dumped the relief packs and covered by a pile of garbage. The operation was done during the night according to them. 

Since they need food to feed their family, they scavenge all those that are still edible and some were stored for the future. That time, there were lots of families who suffered hunger and wasn’t yet able to put the pieces of their lives back to normalcy. I personally saw the sacks of relief items in the house of one of the scavengers.

They stored it for them to have something to eat in the future. The situation broke my heart. After taking pictures and interviewing some of them, I went to the office of the DSWD to get the side of the agency’s Regional Director, Nestor Ramos. I requested for an interview regarding the matter.  Someone from the office brought me and let me wait in a new and beautiful couch outside the office of the director. 

The office was newly painted and the furniture was new. My eyes were watching at every single detail of the building. Someone handed an imported biscuit for a snack. I examined it and I remember that the biscuit was the same as to the one given to us by one of the INGOs on December 2013.

Later on, I was asked to enter the director’s office. He was there. I introduced myself and presented the matter. He said he don’t even know what is happening. Because I wanted him to know the real situation, I gave him my audio interviews, pictures and even the expired relief packs that I get for samples. I showed him my evidence for them at least to initiate an investigation for the matter. I told him that the rotten and expired relief items were eaten by some scavengers believing that it is not spoiled yet. I also informed him that the dumping was done in the municipality of Palo, Leyte. He said they will conduct just an inquiry and not an investigation.

That time, I trusted their office that they will conduct a thorough investigation and someone will be held responsible. Days after the story broke in the national level, I heard over the radio and in the local television that the Mayor of the said town was denying the facts of the dumping of trucks of relief goods. Since I was the one who broke the story, it seems that I am not telling the truth. There was an official report made by the head of the MHO indicating the list of what has been dumped. The itemized report was far different from the statements and the pictures I had gathered.

But I stand for my facts. I can defend it on any court of justice when I will be asked to testify. That feeling of certainty, you know. Days after, my colleague told me that someone called him to tell me that I may be sued for libel because of my story. At first, I was nervous because I am worried that if they will able to do it, I will not be able to take the bar exams because of a pending case. It was my first time to be threatened like that so I panicked. I told my former DyBR manager about the matter and he told me to calm down and that everything was just a threat and harassment for me to stop.  His advice helped me a lot.

There were follow-up stories made by the national media regarding the issue, but nothing happens. There was no result with the conduct of the “investigation” made by the office. They even sent people from the National Office to verify the report but it turned out that it is just a compliance to show the public that they are doing something and because there was a pressure from them to do it. 
At the end of the day, I realized that no matter how you help in attaining justice if it is the agency itself that they are not doing their job, your efforts will turn to be a waste.

Someone told me that I what I did, (giving the information and the evidence to the agency) was wrong. I should have let them investigate and clean their names in public. But, I told her that I just want to help them so they can easily start their investigation through the information I have given to them. I believed what I have done was the right thing and I was never sorry about it. I never regret doing it. 

On January this year, the group of People Surge the alliance of Yolanda survivors and the families living in the no-build zone areas protested to the office of the DSWD Regional Office 8 requesting to include them in the distribution of the emergency shelter assistance. It was raining when I was able to enter the office and asked the duty guard if Director Ramos was there and if he is available for an interview to get his side on the matter.

To my surprise, the guard on duty blocked my way and cornered me to present my ID and wear it every time. I presented my ID and write my name on their log book. Since my ID has no lace, I wasn’t able to wear it. The guard forced me to wear it. I explained to him that I don’t have a lace. He blocked me and when I intended to enter the office to meet the director, he forcefully pulled my left arm. I felt the force because the guard was, of course, bigger than me.

I was dragged into the nearest seat and suddenly my tears were falling. I was telling him that I am from the media that I should take the side of the DSWD to balance my story. I was prohibited. The PIO of the office even took my pictures while I am screaming for the unjust treatment I am experiencing. I really don’t know why she has to document me, yes only me and not the guard who physically forced me to get out of the building.

Later on, I was called by the head of the security to settle things up. I testified what really happened to me. Of course, all of them testified against me. That was not a fair ground to do it. My tears fell and never utter any word. I asked permission to leave the office. I wasn’t able to get the side of the director because of what happened to me. My time was already wasted.

I didn’t cry because I was hurt when the duty guard forcefully pulled me out. I was hurt because I felt that I was harassed and degraded. I felt that my right was not recognized. I wrote the story quoting the PIO reacting on the issue of the no-build zone builders. The story was published.

Days later, I found out that my story was plagiarized. It has been copied word by word. Wew! Was it my prize over everything? Hehe. Hay naku. But, seriously… what happened to me and what had the DSWD done to the survivors of typhoon Yolanda made the last ray of my trust completely vanished.  Since then when I go to the office of the DSWD, the guard on duty do not let me pass without documenting everything about my purpose and he even accompany me and stay to watch me. But still I pray for JUSTICE.  [end]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The various dialects of Eastern Visayas

First Badjao teacher aims to produce more professionals from their tribe

"Labyu langga" one of the best songs ever written